Story: "On the road to Emmaus"
Scripture: Luke 24:13-35
Opening activity: Uncover Jesus' name
Prep (5 min):
- Write the name "Jesus" in big letters on some card
- Cover with post-it notes
- Put stickers under some of the post-its to add excitement
- Children remove post-its one at a time to discover what is written on the card beneath.
- Transition to story-time: Today we're going to find out how two friends discovered Jesus, just like you discovered what was written on the card.
Prep (5 min):
- Draw a line "map" on some card, or a whiteboard, showing a line "road" from Jerusalem to Emmaus. Draw a cross at Jerusalem to show where Jesus died.
- Have a slice of bread ready to share with the kids.
- Read Luke 24:13-35
- Remind the children of the setting of the story, remind them what they learned at Easter, which will explain why the two friends were so sad.
- Show children on the map where the two friends were walking.
- Take the opportunity to tell the children that just like Jesus rose from the dead, we will too!
- At the point in the story where Jesus breaks bread, bring out a slice of bread and break off pieces to give to the kids. Ask them if they've been in church for communion before, where people take a piece of bread and some juice to remember Jesus. Explain to them that this was something special that Jesus did. At the last supper, Jesus broke bread and said, "Take, eat, this is my body which is broken for you." So when the two friends saw Jesus break the bread they finally realized it was Jesus who was with them!
- Tell how Jesus disappeared - show them where it says that in the Bible, if they're not convinced. And tell of how the friends ran all the way back to Jerusalem to tell the other disciples they had seen Jesus!
Prep (10 min):
- Check with parents about any allergies to honey or peanuts
- Gather ingredients: Powdered milk, whole oats, honey, peanut butter.
- Print out recipe (link here).
- Assemble ingredients, mixing bowl, mixing spoon, measuring cup at the craft table.
- Children wash their hands.
- Have children help you read the recipe and measure ingredients.
- Mix well, and shape into balls.
- Serve with milk.
- Share with neighboring classes, just as Jesus shared food with his friends in the story.
Prep (5 min):
- Write a sign on some card with JERUSALEM and some crosses on one side, and EMMAUS on the other side, large enough to see from a distance.
- Place a sign with each place name on either end of the room.
- One person holds the sign, showing one side and then another.
- Children run in whichever direction the sign tells them to, either to Jerusalem or Emmaus.